Norwich University – American Legion Post #1819
The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow servicemembers and veterans.
Post #1819 has an additional focus on Norwich University Alumni Veterans, students and the community of Northfield, VT.
Long term goals:
Post 1819 shall/will …
1. Provide a venue for camaraderie, networking, fellowship, and service toward NU veterans.
2. Be a source of information on veteran’s issues for members and, when required, assist them in enrolling in the VA system, applying for disability, and using education and other benefits which they have earned and are entitled to. (maintaining email list is the how on this one)
3. Provide financial support for children and youth programs that are held at NU or sponsored by NU, such as Future Leader’s Camp, Scouting events on campus, Boy’s State, Girl’s State, etc.
4. Support the American Legion award at the NU Tri Service Award Ceremony.
5. Develop a scholarship fund for attendance at NU.
6. Develop a Commander’s Fund for use at the Commander’s discretion in direct aid to Post members and NU veterans in need of financial assistance.
1st year goals for the Post
1. “Codify the process” for regular Post meetings and E board meetings.
2. Develop an annual budget. Conduct fundraising to meet budgetary requirements.
3. Establish the process for electronic voting of new Post officers for Aug/September 2015. Conduct the election successfully.
4. Fill post officer positions as determined the Executive Board.
5. Determine which committees to establish in the first year. Do it.
6. Increase membership to 55 by May 2015.
7. Develop a schedule of annual events.
8. Install new officers at Homecoming 2015.